Wednesday, February 2, 2011

I am a dressage groupie!

This is probably something many don't know about me. But I am a dressage groupie.  I love reading the blogs, websites of the top riders and watching the youtube videos. I've had the pleasure of going to several World Cups and have gotten some great pictures.  I thought I would share some of my pictures with my dressage idols.

WC 2005- I remember being completely blown away by how beautifully Andreas Helgstrand rode Don Schufro. Just a beautifully correct seat. It was his first year riding Don Schufro. This was the night of the finals, I had just seen his trainer and New Dressage God (NDG) Rudolf Zeilinger walk in...so I thought that Andreas would be around soon. I managed to stop him on his way into the T&M, I think he was surprised that he was recognized by an American.  He and his companion were very happy to stop and take a picture.


A few minutes later, I caught up with David O'Connor! He was on his way to his book signing but he also stopped for a picture!

I regret the fact that I was too shy to ask for a picture of Edward Gal when he was still riding Lingh, but I think I was in AWE by him. I remember giggling that I could see his orange boxers through his show breeches. I also so Ann-Kathrin Linsenhoff and Imke Bartels but wasn't in a spot to take a photo with them.

WC 2007-My WWGM moment. I saw him sipping on his Pepsi in the stands watching the dressage warm up. I couldn't not get my photo with THE George Morris! I made my friend come with me to take a picture with her cell phone! I thought he would totally cuss me out, but once again- I was impressed with how open and appreciative our equestrian idols are with us crazy fans!

This year, I also saw Robert Dover and Guenter Seidel. The were pimping tickets for a dressage event that Dover was hosting for Equestrian Aid...But Robert Dover wouldn't agree to take a picture with me or my friend unless I bought a ticket.  I was bummed but whatevs! Catherine Haddad was at that year's event. She was very nice and got to meet her at a meet & greet.

WC 2009- Dressage Divas. It was a great year to take pictures with my dressage idols.
On the first day, we saw ANKY. She rode the bus like everyone else. She had been hospitalized the day before for an allergic reaction and she still was willing to take pictures with us.  That's classy!


This was the year of Brentina's retirement so Debbie McDonald also there to promote the USEF and I totally stood in line for 30 minutes to make sure she signed t-shirts and took a picture.  Debbie is the Grande Dame of US dressage! I am 5'11, she was in a tall studio chair and I still practically knelt! She is tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny!


The most heart breaking moment of the WC was having to see Kingston withdraw after being uneven after his first HP. Many of us were looking forward to Leslie and Kingston's comeback after watching them electrify the arena in 2005. I ran into Leslie the following day, and told her how sorry I was about what happened and how I had looked forward to seeing them together.  You could feel how heart broken she was and how appreciative she was of the support.  Let me apologize about how stalkerazzi I look in this picture...totally wearing her like last year's gucci! LOL! I think I'd had a couple of beers! LOL! For shame!



Finally, my Steffen moment! You can't even imagine how thin and wirey he is in real life! A perfect riders physique. Look at me...again, with the beer!

The only one I am missing to make my dressage stalker self feel satisfied is a photo with Isabell.  Based on the number of up and coming horses, I think I still have some time to plot my photo op!

No comments:

Post a Comment