Thursday, July 7, 2011

The sun is in my eyes

I think the photo of this little girl really suits my current mood (and the polka dot Jacki O sunglasses are so stylish!).

The subject of my long overdue post is a reference to a phrase used by local fox hunters in reference to riders who've lost their nerve or their drive to ride hell bent for leather towards the next solid fence! I may have lost my intense drive to ride dressage, at least for the summer.  Somewhere along the way, as the mercury soared into the 100's, I  lost the urge. Riding in Texas this time of the year requires waking up before the roosters have called and before the first pot of coffee pot has barely brewed; or, waiting until after the sun has set and the prehistorically large bugs emerge out of the darkeness. Bathing and grooming the Redster and sipping a chilly Bud Light  from the tackroom fridge seems more appealing.

But I know that this feeling will pass and before you know it, I will be working on improving  the cadence and the jump in our medium canter!

I think taking a break from the barn is healthy and helpful to maintaining balance in my nonriding life. When the sun is in your eyes, it is a great time to spend time with friends and family, going on a unhorsey vacation, or attending to the mile long "To Do List".

If you are taking a break from the barn, don't forget to let the Barn Manager or Barn Owner know that you may not be riding so much. It may be a good time to cut back on all that grain so that the pony doesn't get fat. Or if your horse has limited turnout during show season, you can consider increasing the turnout so that they are using up some of that excess energy in the pasture.

If the thought of working on dressage seems heavier than the humidity in the air, it may be a great time to consider another riding discipline. Red and I have dabbled in jumping, and I am proud to say that his nickname is the $50,000 hunter! He's got a great hunter hack trot! My friend Cheryl has been working on the 'jog' for the upcoming breed show where she has entered her 1st Level cob in a western pleasure class. My friend Deborah has tossed her horse into the big pasture for the summer and has met some friends that do competitive trail riding. Her Redheaded horse is the epitomy of the cross trainer- he's done the hunters, he's done western pleasure, dressage and maybe now he may do some trail riding!

So, if the sun is in your eyes- be sure you are wearing some cute sunglasses!

No comments:

Post a Comment